Yesterday I read a post on Twenty-Six To Life about being thankful, written in the spirit of the ‘Thanksgiving’ holiday celebrated in America. Although we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, I was inspired to think about the things I am thankful for and have decided to share them with you.
I am thankful for (in no particular order):
- Having a free and easy upbringing surrounded by family who loved and supported me in all my endeavours.
- Growing up in the country where I could roam the hills with my friends, swim in creeks and ride horses after school.
- Being introduced to the joys of travel at a young age.
- My generous, loyal, hardworking and loving husband who makes me laugh, often.
- My parents, they taught me how to be independent but are always there when I need them.
- Having a brother that both frustrates me and makes me laugh, he is a friend as well as family.
- Our two black dogs, Maxi and Bundy, they give me great joy and entertain me with their antics.
- Good health, mental and physical.
- A good job that regularly drives me insane but provides me with many challenges and flexible working conditions.
- A roof over our heads, having a place to call home that we can afford to keep.
- Ability to travel and enjoy the occasional weekend away.
- An amazing holiday in Europe during the Spring, 2011. It was a dream come true for my husband and I and I was so glad that we could share the experience with each other.
- Working as a volunteer dog walker at our local animal shelter, giving each dog the chance to stretch their legs and experience love and cuddles as they wait for their forever home.
- The internet, it has given me the opportunity to discover other worlds and other lives, exposing me to inspirational people and educating me about myriad of roles they play in the world.
- The rain that is now falling, everything will soon be green again.
- The marks on the window left by wet noses as my two black dogs peer into the house, letting me know that it is time for a walk or that they’d be happy for a cuddle.
- My beautiful friends, I have known some of them all my life and they love me for who I am and not what they want me to be.
- Memories of my Grandparents: the smell of home baked cakes and biscuits, visiting the stables at the race track, mustering cattle and herding sheep in New Zealand, lots of cuddles and interesting stories of days gone by.
- Living in the ‘lucky country’, Australia has many advantages and opportunities, not to mention fantastic beaches, rainforests and fascinating wildlife.
- Looking out my back door and seeing magpies, rainbow lorikeets, cockatoos and the occasional wallaby or koala.
- Staffy snuggles from my boy Bundy and the soft ears and nature of Maxi.
- Seeing Vernazza, Cinque Terre before flooding and mudslides devastated the village. Such a beautiful place and so peaceful once all of the daytrippers go back to their hotels.
There is so much to be thankful for, sometimes you just have to remember to stop and think about the good things in your life because the bad often overwhelms every thought and makes you toxic.
Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate that holiday and Happy Thursday for all the Aussies and Kiwis!