A while ago I shared photos of our house and the rooms we were renovating, we’ve been living with dust and stepping over boxes for some time now but I’m happy to say that it is almost over. I underestimated how much headspace renovating would consume and the time it would take to arrange to get things done such as plumbing, tiling and plastering. There has been frustration and tears, at times it all seemed too overwhelming and I wondered if we were ever going to move out of the spare room.
My parents spent a week with us in order to help get some of the work done, while Mum was busy packing up my office, washing walls and cleaning windows, Dad and I were painting walls. Over a 3 day weekend we achieved quite a bit, however our hearts sank when we found what appeared to be termite damage in two bedrooms. Termites and wet rot had worked together to disintegrate the baseplate in 3 walls, it meant that we couldn’t paint those rooms and the flooring could not be laid either. Thankfully Fred, our termite inspection man was available to check everything and confirm that there were no living termites, the activity was old and we just needed to replace the timber baseplate and install new gyprock on the walls. It has slowed us down a little, I was hoping to have things back to normal by the end of September however it might not be possible, thank goodness Dad was here as he was able to tell us exactly what we needed to get done and in what order. It is very handy having a Dad who has worked in the building industry for most of his life and Mum has always been a hard worker, we could never have gotten this far without them 🙂
I’ve learned one thing from this experience, DIY is not for me (although painting is ok) and there is no way that I would ever consider auditioning for one of those reality tv shows like “The Block”. Anyway, enough talking, here are a few photos of our almost complete rooms.